For by grace you have been saved through faith, and not of
yourselves, it is the gift of God, not of works, lest
anyone should boast.
Ephesians 2: 8-9
| © copyright 2009 |
| Oak Hill Baptist Church |
| all rights reserved |
An Affirmation of Our Faith
- THE WORD OF GOD – We believe the Bible is the Word of God, fully inspired and without error in the original manuscripts,
written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, and that it has supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- THE TRINITY – We believe that there is one living and true God, externally existing in three persons; that these are equal in every divine perfection;
and that they execute distinct but harmonious offices in the work of creation, providence, and redemption.
- GOD THE FATHER – We believe in God, the Father, an infinite personal spirit, perfect in holiness, wisdom, knowledge, power, and love. We believe that He concerns Himself mercifully in the affairs of men,
that He hears and answers prayer, and that He saves from sin and eternal death all who come to Him through Jesus Christ.
- JESUS CHRIST – We believe in Jesus Christ, God’s only begotten Son, conceived by the Holy Spirit. We believe in His virgin birth, sinless life, miracles, and teachings. We believe in His substitutionary atoning death,
bodily resurrection, ascension into heaven, perpetual intercession for His people, and personal visible return to earth.
- THE HOLY SPIRIT – We believe in the Holy Spirit who came forth from the Father and Son to convict the world of sin,
righteousness, and judgment and to regenerate, sanctify, and empower all who believe in Jesus Christ.
We believe that the Holy Spirit indwells every believer in Christ, and that He is an abiding helper, teacher, and guide.
- REGENERATION – We believe that all men are sinners by nature and by choice and are, therefore, under condemnation.
We believe that those who repent of their sins and trust in Jesus Christ as Savior are regenerated by the Holy Spirit.
- THE CHURCH – We believe in the universal church, a living spiritual body of which Christ is the head and all
regenerated persons are members. We believe in the local church, consisting of a company of believers in Jesus Christ,
baptized on a credible profession of faith, and associated for worship, work, and fellowship.
We believe that God has laid upon the members of the local church the primary task of giving the Gospel of Jesus Christ to a lost world.
- CHRISTIAN CONDUCT – We believe that a Christian should live for the glory of God and the wellbeing of his fellowmen;
that his conduct should be blameless before the world; that he should be a faithful steward of his possessions;
and that he should seek to realize for himself and others the full stature of maturity in Christ.
- ORDINANCES – We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ has committed two ordinances to the local church;
baptism and the Lord’s Supper. We believe that Christian baptism is the immersion of a believer in water in the name
of the triune God, and that it be observed as an outward expression of the experience of personally accepting God’s
death, burial, and resurrection. We believe that the Lord’s Supper was instituted by Christ for commemoration of His death.
We believe that these two ordinances should be observed and administered until the return of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- RELIGIOUS LIBERTY – We believe that every human being has direct relations with God,
and is responsible to God alone in all matters of faith; that each church is independent and must be free from interference
by an ecclesiastical or political authority; that, therefore, Church and State must be kept separate as having different functions,
each fulfilling its duties free from dictation or patronage of the other.
- THE LAST THINGS – We believe in the personal and visible return of the Lord Jesus Christ to earth and the establishment
of His kingdom. We believe in the resurrection of the body, the final judgment, the eternal felicity of the righteous,
and the endless suffering of the wicked.
We believe that the Spirit of God has led us to receive Jesus Christ as our Savior and to confess Him as Lord.
We have been baptized in the name of the Father and the son and the Holy Spirit and we covenant together to lead a
life worship of the Lord, fully pleasing to Him.
Our Personal Life: We promise, with the aid of the Holy Spirit, to love God with our emotions, with our minds,
and with all that we are. We promise to live our lives dedicated to Jesus Christ, to live a pattern of life that
is consistent with the example of Christ, and to live a life that demonstrates our commitment to Him.
We reject sin and seek to live in love and righteousness. We believe our lives should be separated from the world in many areas
of specific morality.
Our Family Life: We promise to maintain family and personal devotions, to teach the words, values and truths of Scripture
to our children and seek to teach that all authority is under Christ.
Our Church Life: We promise to hold to truth that is found in the Scripture, to work and seek to preserve both the peace
and purity of our church and to uphold its worship and ordinances. We also promise to support its discipline and doctrines
and to contribute as faithful stewards such time, talent and money in the measure that God prospers each of us.
It is our desire to live in harmony with each other as joint heirs of the grace of Christ and to this end we will pray,
care for and love one another. It is further our hope that in our fellowship and love we show that we are the followers
of Christ our Savior. With the Scripture as our final authority we promise and covenant together to live our lives to the glory of God.